Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mapmaking & "The Maze Runner"

I am a visual learner, as are many of my students.  As I was reading The Maze Runner for the first time, I found myself sketching out a map of the Glade to help me get a better picture of the geography. Naturally, this turned into an assignment for my students.

Page 22 has an initial description of which corners of the Glade the Gardens, Deadheads, Homestead, and Blood House are located. My students will continue to add to these maps as we read the book (they'll add the maze section numbers, the Griever Hole, etc.).

Another nice quality about the maze assignment is that it gives my more active students something to do while we read.  Sometimes I read out loud, sometimes students volunteer, sometimes I make everyone read, and other times they read to themselves; when someone else is reading, many students are drawing the actual maze while they listen.  It's not a required part of the assignment, but it's something that many of them can do while they listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment