Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Teaching vocabulary

My students struggle with vocabulary.  And they struggle with learning vocabulary.  Many of my students are English Language Learners, however most are no longer identified as ELLs because they have a pass-able grasp of the English language. I do, however, need them to pass the state writing and reading assessment to graduate, so I make them memorize vocabulary words.
My strategy: find a one-word synonym, in context, whenever possible.  When I have tried to teach kids multiple definitions or words that can't be substituted, it backfires.  That's when I end up with sentences like "We curious read the book," instead of "We curiously read the book." I know they'll need to learn more meanings eventually, but if I'm using words with a novel study, I have data to prove that this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment