Friday, April 25, 2014

"The Maze Runner" and Figurative Language

Since "The Maze Runner" has so many fictional creatures and situations, it is a perfect tool to teach metaphors and similes.  The Glade itself, the Maze, the Changing, the Box, and Beetle Blades are all examples of items which do not exist in real life. James Dashner is forced to use metaphors and similes to help us picture these imaginary places and things.

I had my students first identify 10 similes/metaphors in the novel.  Then, they drew a picture of an imaginary creature that they invented to torment the Gladers.  They had to list at least 10 similes/metaphors to describe their new monster.

I'll admit, my students were FAR more excited by drawing their monsters than I anticipated.  For those who finished early, I had them swap description lists and attempt to draw their partner's picture from the description alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment